Fresh home furnishing ideas and affordable furniture - IKEA
So you want to buy a bed?
Well done! You found our crash course about buying a bed. Ready? Let’s go. The first thing to consider is what size works based on where the bed will live and who will sleep in it. Most IKEA bed frames come in several sizes, sometimes grouped as single or double. Now onto more cosy matters.
1. Know bed frame features and types
Double bed frames: room enhancers
A bed frame’s materials can say a lot: wood (warm, natural), metal (versatile, timeless) or fabric upholstery (cosy, classy). Want storage space? Look for a free height under the bed of more than 20 cm.
Storage beds: space maximisers
A storage bed comes with matching drawers or boxes for concealed convenience. Some headboards offer storage, too. Single beds fit storage on one side only; double beds can have storage on more than one side.
Mattress bases: versatile supporters
A mattress base is a simple foundation. Besides a mattress, it must have a cover and legs. Slats come with it (separate ones are not needed). Mattress topper? You decide.
Divan beds: coordinated softies
A divan bed often sells as a set: mattress topper, spring mattress, mattress base and 10 cm legs. The base, mattress and headboard use matching covers. Most have a padded headboard attached. Some include storage.
2. Mind the structural musts
- When buying a bed, always check the product details and good-to-know information for specifics about midbeams and bed slats.
- Most double beds require a steel SKORVA midbeam to stabilise the frame and keep the mattress in place. It’s typically included in the bed’s price but packaged separately.
- Most single and double bed frames need bed slats to support the mattress. A standard LURÖY slatted bed base is typically included in the price of wooden, metal and upholstered bed frames but often packaged separately.
- Divan and wooden base spring mattresses have bed slats integrated into their designs. You do not need to buy separate bed slats.
3. Choose a mattress
- Be sure the size of your mattress will fit your chosen bed frame. Check the product measurements for length and width when you buy a bed.
- The height of a mattress mainly matters for personal preference. But a bed can seem disproportional if its mattress is too thick or thin. Consider how much of the mattress will be visible with a headboard, a footboard or a mattress base.
- Consider the overall height of your bed from the floor to the top of the mattress. It should be easy for you to get in and out of bed.
- Divan beds and wooden base spring mattresses include mattresses, but you choose firmness and size.
- Want help choosing the right mattress? Check out our mattress buying guide.
4. Care for your investment
- Chances are, it’ll take you 1-3 weeks to choose and buy a bed. Taking care of your dream bed respects the time, energy and money you’ve spent. Your future self will thank you, too.
- A mattress protector prolongs the life of a mattress while keeping away stains and dirt. Some are waterproof. They’re all removable and machine-washable. (We recommend washing monthly.)
- If your upholstered bed frame, mattress base or mattress has a removable cover, wash it regularly.
- Maintain your bed frame by tightening screws once in a while.
- Broke a slat? Missing a bracket? You can often replace damaged or lost parts. Learn about our spare parts service.
For a completely coordinated bedroom
With our wide range of sizes, colours, materials and features, we’re sure there’s a just-right bed at a price you’ll love. Want to buy a bed frame, bedside table and storage pieces that match? Look for a coordinated product series such as HEMNES or one of the many bedroom furniture sets.
Hire a pro and free up your time for other to-dos.
Let us bring your bed to where you lay your head.
You buy a bed online. We gather it. You pick it up.