It’s quick, leaves no marks, doesn’t cost much and is easy to remove. No wonder washi tape has so many fans. Check out five popular updates you can easily do yourself.
1. Put your mantra on the wall. Give your bedroom a personal and cosy feeling by putting your favourite inspiring statement on your wall. Plan how big to make the letters and use a spirit level to keep them straight.
2. Tape a rag rug. Browse magazines for inspiration. Try rows of stripes or a zig-zag pattern. Decide how big you want your rug to be and go for it. Pick tape in a matching colour palette for a uniform and coordinated look.
3. Add some DIY panels. Tired of minimalistic white walls and bare cupboards? Make your dream panels. Grab a picture for inspiration and a spirit level to mark out your design. Use thinner tape as shading to add the illusion of depth.
4. Make a weekly calendar. A smart calendar grid is easy to update with sticky notes – just right for the kitchen or study wall. Decide how many people it will cover. Use a spirit level to get your tape straight and tape away!
5. Top up your art wall. Yes, washi tape is easy to remove. But it can actually be used as a more permanent decoration feature. Mixing your real frames with illusional frames creates a unique impression. Attach the image to the wall. Then tape your frame design around it.
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.
Interior designer: Britta Henley
Photographer: Kristian Krebs
Writer: Anna Blom