The New Year is the perfect time to start fresh, especially at home. And when your home is secure, the easier it is for you to kick back and relax. Here are few easy ways for you to up your home’s safety factor.
1. The majority of home fires start in the washroom or kitchen. So be extra safe and keep a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket nearby, just in case.
2. Chest of drawers may look stable and secure, but accidents can happen. Err on the side of caution and bolt them to the wall (all of ours come with the necessary hardware).
3. A smoke detector can be a lifesaver. Literally. Place several throughout your home, especially in the bedrooms, and fasten it to a wall with a step stool nearby (it’ll be much easier to reach than the ceiling). The start of a new year is the perfect time to switch out old batteries with fresh ones.
4. On the stairs, in the shower... a nasty slip can happen anywhere. Decrease your chances of a spill with anti-slip strips on your staircases, and tub mats for the shower or bathtub.
5. An anti-slip underlay will help keep your rug in place and you on your feet.
6. Keep furry friends and children alike out of trouble and harm's way with the help of a door stop or window catch (plus, no more slammed fingers).
7. A lot happens in the kitchen. And with that many sharp objects around, we recommend keeping a First Aid kit handy (just to be on the safe side). If you take regular vitamins and medication together with food, why not keep them nearby, as well? Just make sure to keep them locked away from curious little hands in a medicine cabinet.
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.
Interior designer: Marianne Eriksson
Photographer: Mats Ekdahl
Writer: Vanessa Algotsson