Picture ledges make it easy to show off your favourite things. With a flip here or a knob there, you can use them in new ways, too. Get creative with our DIY picture ledge ideas (cats not included)!
1. Bedside butler. Make a mighty, minimalist nightstand. Secure one picture ledge ‘normally’ as intended. Another one above in a mirror image caps it off, so you can protect things inside or display them on top. An LED lighting strip helps you see without being startled awake.
2. Kitty climber. Turn your wall into a playground for your favourite feline(s). Attach different-sized picture ledges at various heights and distances. (We sawed a few, too.) Make sturdy wooden boxes into nap spots. Line a ledge with rug pieces for scratching action. Use wall brackets to dangle toys.
3. Upright organiser. Stand up and sort out long-handled sports equipment and other awkwardly tall objects. Turn picture ledges lengthwise and secure them vertically instead of horizontally. Attach knobs to the tops and bottoms. Then use rope or string to create ‘fences’ across the knobs.
4. Hallway hanger. Clean up an entryway with an organised spot where you can hide clutter, too. Attach a long, upside-down picture ledge to the wall, so you create a shelf for post and pocket stuff. Add knobs or hooks. Behind the small edge, hang lightweight fabric on some wire.
5. Desk drawer. Add storage wherever you want to any solid wood table with a flat belly. Secure two picture ledges on their sides with space in between for a SAMLA box. (We left 23.5 cm.) Slide in the boxes to rest on the edges. Sturdy, slim wood (21.5 x 55 cm) in the grooves makes extra shelving.
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.
Interior designer: Carine de Mol
Photographer: Daniel Wester
Writer: Marissa Frayer